1/1 Photo of Chicken Coconut Curry Soup - A.k.a. Easy Mulligatawny!
This is my absolute favorite soup of all time. I've made it for friends and family from Europe to the Caribbean, haven't met anyone who could pass it up! This recipe is based on a soup I tried at an Indian restaurant in Montreal about 5 years back. It was soooo delicious and creamy. I have no idea how they made theirs, but my take is really, really close and super easy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole boneless skinless chicken breast, and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled and diced (about 5 medium sized potatoes)
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and diced (about 2 large or 3 medium carrots)
- 1 cup onion, peeled and diced (about 1 large onion)
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 2 liters water
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust according to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (adjust according to taste)
- 1In a large pot add water, chicken stock cubes, salt pepper. Bring to a boil.
- 2Add chicken, reduce to medium heat. Let simmer about 10 minutes.
- 3Add potatoes, carrots, onions. Let simmer about 20 minutes.
- 4Add curry powder, ginger, garlic, salt & pepper. Reduce to low heat. Let simmer about 10 minutes.
- 5Once the potatoes are fully tender, remove from heat and add coconut milk.
- 6Puree with hand blender.
- 7Serve with Basmati rice and enjoy!
- 8*** Notes: 1. Try not to substitute the fresh ginger or garlic for powdered or paste. This will really alter the overall taste (and not in a good way.). 2. Shake the can of coconut milk before using. Most of the coconut flavor is in the bits that settle at the bottom of the can. 3. You can add chilli powder to make this spicier. It really depends on how hot the curry powder you use is. I usually use a blend of very hot Madras curry powder and very mild Caribbean curry powder.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Coconut Curry Soup - A.k.a. Easy Mulligatawny!
Serving Size: 1 (359 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 217.6
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 17.2 mg
- Sodium 655.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 10.5 g