tomoko matsunaga's Note:
I found this recipe in the book "The Food of the World". This is one of the classic soups of Thailand.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 750 ml coconut milk
- 2 stalks lemongrass, white part only (each cut into a tassel or bruised)
- 5 cm piece galangal, cut into several pieces
- 4 asian shallots, smashed with the flat side of a cleaver
- 400 g skinless chicken breasts, cut into slices
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar
- 200 g baby tomatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces if large
- 150 g straw mushrooms or 150 g bottom mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 6 makrut fresh lime leaves, torn in half
- 3 -5 bird chilies, stems removed, bruised or 2 long red chilies, seeded and finely sliced
- 3 fresh coriander leaves (to garnish)
- 1Put the coconut milk, lemon grass, galangal and shallots in a saucepan or wok over a medium heat and bring to a boil.
- 2Add the chicken, fish sauce and palm sugar and simmer, stirring constantly for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- 3Add the tomatoes and mushrooms and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- 4Add the lime juice, makrut lime leaves and chilies in the last few seconds, taking care not to let the tomatoes lose their shape.
- 5Taste, then adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- 6This dish is not meant to be overwhelmingly hot, but to have a sweet, salty, sour taste.
- 7Serve garnished with coriander leaves.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken, Coconut and Galangal Soup
Serving Size: 1 (455 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 555.7
- Calories from Fat 392
- Total Fat 43.6 g
- Saturated Fat 36.6 g
- Cholesterol 64.0 mg
- Sodium 998.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 28.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh lime leaves
fresh coriander leaves