1/1 Photo of Chicken Ceylon with Massalla Gravy
1 hr 15 mins
This is posted in response to a request. Spicy with a little heat! You may substitute beef for the chicken for Beef Ceylon!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb chicken, cubed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 finely chopped cayenne chili
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 inches gingerroot, grated
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons roughly chopped coriander leaves (may substitute coriander seeds-2 tbls.)
- 1 tablespoon whole coriander leaves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 coconut, grated (approx. 1-2 cup)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1Make a paste of the curry powder and chilli powder with a little water.
- 2Fry the onion until translucent in the veg oil then add the garlic, ginger and chilli and stir fry on medium for a further 5 minutes.
- 3Add the curry and chilli powder paste and stir in and fry for a further 30 secs.
- 4Add the chicken pieces and seal well on all sides.
- 5Add half the Massalla Gravy, coconut and coconut milk and simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked, stirring constantly.
- 6If needed add more massalla gravy and water to prevent the curry becoming too thick or dry.
- 7Now add the finely chopped coriander leaves (or seeds) and cook for a further minute.
- 8Serve with the whole coriander leaves sprinkled over the top (if using).
- 9Massalla Gravy: Fry the onion, tomatoes and garlic in the oil on a medium heat until the onions are soft and translucent and the tomatoes are beginning to go mushy (Approx. 10 Mins).
- 10Add half the water and simmer for 5 minutes then add the rest of the water and spices.
- 11Stir in well and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- 12Keep stirring regularly throughout cooking.
- 13Take the pan off the heat and leave to cool slightly before pureeing in a food processor.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Ceylon with Massalla Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (979 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1293.8
- Calories from Fat 985
- Total Fat 109.4 g
- Saturated Fat 28.7 g
- Cholesterol 170.1 mg
- Sodium 362.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 14.9 g
- Protein 49.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green cardamom pods