Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
ZWT6 - Asia Cook time does not include marinade time.
Make and share this Chicken Ceylon Style (Sri Lanka) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs fryer chickens, cut in pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons oleo
- 2 onions, chopped fine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Mix buttermilk and garlic powder in bowl. Add chicken and let marinate 2 hours or more. Baste and turn often.
- Melt butter in a deep skillet and saute onions 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, mix salt, ginger, curry and cornstarch together in a small bowl and sprinkle over onions, stirring until well blended.
- Drain the chicken (reserve the buttermilk) and cook the chicken in the same skillet until lightly browned. Stir in buttermilk. Cover and cook over low heat 1 1/2 hours or until chicken is tender. Baste frequently.
Great chicken dish! I don't care for onions so left them thinly sliced instead of mincing them into the sauce. I used Homemade Curry Powder (Homemade Curry Powder) and the sauce was richly spiced and the chicken was tender and delicious. I will increase the pepper flakes or add some cayenne to my curry powder next time to turn up the heat a bit. We enjoyed this - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for the Best of 2010 Event (recommended by Mia in Germany)
Wonderful, easy curry! I had leftover curry powder Ceylon Curry Powder from ZWT and wanted to make a different curry, and this is what my research produced. As I can't have dairy, I used coconut milk with one teaspoon tart tamarind puree, and instead of cornstach I used arrowroot. Will make this again - thanks for posting!