Recipe by Jane Gib
I found this recipe in an old old cookery book that was left behind by a tourist. this recipe tasts better if you cook 1 day before
- 5 lbs chicken, jointed
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 slices ham, diced and without fat
- 10 small white onions
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- parsley (tied in a pice of muslin)
- 12 mushrooms, unpeeled
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 cup red wine
Directions See How It's Made
- dredge chicken in flour.
- melt butter in casserole.
- sear chicken in hot butter, add ham, onions, garlic, mushrooms salt and pepper and herb bouquet(thyme, bayleaf and parsley).
- let it boil briskly.
- pour brandy over chicken and blaze.
- add wine and cover the casserole.
- reduce heat, and simmer until chicken is tender.
- If sauce is not thickened, add some flour.
- remove bouquet before serving.