Prep 10 mins
Cook 27 mins
This quesadilla has everything in it to make my mouth water! :) The caramelized onions make this recipe for me - that's why we added them!!! Loosley based on recipe in Cooking Light Magazine, July 2009 edition. Here they suggest: "Watermelon-jicama salad is a refreshing side dish. Combine 4 cups (1/2-inch) cubed seedless watermelon, 1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled jicama, 1 cup chopped English cucumber, and 1/2 cup chopped red onion. Add 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 2 teaspoons sugar, and 1 teaspoon olive oil; toss well." Any fruit salad side dish would be great & very refreshing! Have tweaked it to suit our personal taste!! :).If the Rondele cheese is a bit too pricey - you can take a sharp cheddar, jalapenos, salt, pepper & some light, no-fat sour cream and beat it until it becomes soft & spreadable - of course, with the cheddar at room temp. The same can be done with the horseradish! This is fly-by-night recipe - I make these kinds of concotions off the top of my head, but I am sure someone made them before I! ;)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup presliced mushroom
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more if you choose) (optional)
- 1 pinch brown sugar (or two)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic or 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine or 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 (10 inch) fat-free flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken breast (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup arugula (we used the spinach) or 1 cup Baby Spinach (we used the spinach)
- 1⁄4 cup shredded gruyere cheese or 1⁄4 cup swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 cup jalapeno cheddar cheese (we used both Rondele spreadable cheeses) or 1⁄4 cup horseradish cheddar cheese, divided (we used both Rondele spreadable cheeses)
- cooking spray
- Heat a large nonstick skillet that has been sprayed with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil to pan; swirl to coat.
- Add mushrooms, sliced onions, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper & sugar to pan; sauté 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, and sauté 30 seconds.
- Add vinegar or sherry; cook 30 seconds or until liquid almost evaporates.
- Use Rondele spreadable cheese on half of each tortilla.
- Arrange half of mushroom mixture over half of each tortilla.
- Top each tortilla with 1/2 cup chicken, 1/2 cup arugula or spinach, and 1/4 cup (the Gruyere or Swiss) cheese ; fold tortillas in half.
- Wipe pan clean with a paper towel.
- Heat pan over medium heat.
- Coat pan with cooking spray.
- Add tortillas to pan.
- Place a heavy skillet on top of tortillas; cook 2 minutes on each side or until crisp and cheese is a bit runny.
- Serve with a Corona y que les aproveche!
I left the mushrooms out because I am allergic but they were still heavenly
Really delicious easy recipe. We loved it! :) Thanks.