Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From a Treasury of Great Recipes, by Vincent and Mary Price. This is also good with about 1/2 cup of chopped spinach mixed in with the chicken. I used manicotti for this - I'm sure other types of stuffable pasta would work as well. This works fine making the whole recipe in a large baking dish/pan.
- 59.16 ml butter
- 59.16 ml flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 0.59 ml white pepper
- 0.59 ml nutmeg
- 473.18 ml hot milk
- 8 cannelloni tubes, shells
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 44.37 ml minced onions
- 44.37 ml celery, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml carrots, finely chopped
- 14.79 ml minced parsley
- 473.18 ml cooked chicken, finely chopped
- 3.69 ml salt
- 1.23 ml oregano
- 1.23 ml basil
- 2.46 ml white pepper
- 177.44 ml white wine
- 59.16 ml tomato sauce
- 59.14 ml cream
- parmesan cheese
- in a saucepan melt butter.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- add hot milk and cook, stirring, till sauce is smooth and thickened.
- cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- in skillet, heat olive oil and saute onion, celery, carrot and parsley for 10 minutes, or till vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken, salt, herbs, pepper and wine.
- Simmer till wine is reduced by half.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the sauce.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Cook cannelloni in boiling salted water for 8 minutes.
- Drain and rinse in cold water.
- on each cannelloni put 2 T of the filling and roll up.
- arrange 2 filled cannelloni in a butter au gratin dish for each serving.
- to remaining sauce add tomato sauce and cream. Stir to blend.
- Pour 1/2 cup of this sauce over each serving and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- bake in very hot oven for 10 minutes or till top browns.
This is really easy to prepare,and the end result is just delicious.I used cannelloni that required no pre-cooking,as it's easier to stuff.I also sprinkled my chicken with a little olive oil and Italian seasoning as I grilled it.I made one large dish rather than individual ones. I had some friends come for supper,and we all ate seconds.Everyone loved it.Thanks Pattikay,I'll be making this again!
Made as directed but also used manicotti. Entire family loved this. I would like to try this with spinach next time - these are wonderful and pretty easy to make. Thanks for a keeper!! 1-2-3 tag
Really delicious and a great way to use up leftover roast chicken. I will definitely make this again! The only changes I made were: manicotti instead of cannelloni (I needed 6 manicotti for two people) and I used tomato purée instead of tomato sauce, because I happened to have an opened can of it in the fridge. I also only made a 1/2 recipe for the two of us and found that the manicotti would fit in our largest oval au gratin pan.