1/3 Photos of Chicken Breast With Tomato Sauce and Mozzarella
I developed this, and the great thing about this recipe is that you can coat the breasts, brown them in oil and then refrigerate for up to 8 hours before continuing with the remainder of the recipe, which makes this a great recipe to serve to dinner guests, 30 minutes before serving just drizzle with the marinara sauce and bake! I use Kittencal's Marinara Pasta Sauce (Vegetarian) that I make and freeze to use in recipes or Kittencal's Italian Tomato Pasta Sauce and Parmesan Meatballs can also be used, your own favorite marinara or pasta sauce can also be used. If you are using more than 7 chicken breasts you will need a larger baking dish and breadcrumb mixture and marinara sauce will need to be increased. It is best to use fresh not frozen thawed breasts for this, with previous experience cooking frozen thawed breasts sometimes tend to create a soggy crust, if you are using frozen thawed make certain that your chicken breasts are completely thawed with no extra moisture left in them. You will love this dish!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups dry breadcrumbs (use dry breadcrumbs only!)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2-1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 -2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 -3 cups marinara sauce (use about 1/3 cup sauce for each breast, but can use more)
- 7 -14 slices mozzarella cheese (or to taste)
- 1Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- 2In a shallow dish mix together the breadcrumbs with the next 5 ingredients.
- 3In another small shallow dish whisk the eggs.
- 4Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat (use enough oil to coat bottom of the skillet).
- 5Dip the breasts first in the egg (shaking off any excess egg) and then coat in the breadcrumbs mixture.
- 6Place in oil and cook on both sides until browned (about 3-4 minutes on each side, do not cook the breasts completely just until the outside breadcrumb coating is lightly browned).
- 7Place the browned breasts single layer in the greased casserole dish.
- 8At this point you can cool and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- 9Spread about 1/4 to 1/3 cup the marinara sauce over the browned breasts (not too much sauce or it will cause the outside breading to turn soggy and soft, if you do not mind that then use as much sauce as you like!).
- 10Set oven to 350 degrees, oven rack set to bottom position.
- 11Bake for about 35 for smaller thin breasts and 45 minutes for thicker-sized breasts or until the chicken is done (if you are baking the chicken from refrgerated then cooking time might take a little longer, cooking time will vary depending on the size of the chicken breasts).
- 12Remove the chicken and place 1 or 2 slices of mozzeralla cheese on top of each cooked breast then return to oven for anout 4-5 minutes or until cheese is hot and bubbly or place under the broiler to melt cheese.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Breast With Tomato Sauce and Mozzarella
Serving Size: 1 (1886 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 388.4
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 136.5 mg
- Sodium 805.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 35.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian seasoning