Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
nice cheesey, with vegies, and phyllo pastry. Cut into nice wedges and serve..
Make and share this Chicken Bastilla Roman Italian Style recipe from Food.com.
- 10 sheets frozen phyllo pastry, thawed
- 2 1⁄4 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan grated cheese or 1⁄3 cup romano cheese
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄8 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 -5 crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped yelloew pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced fine garlic
- 1 large boneless chicken breast, sliced or chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped sun-dried tomato
- 2 tablespoons fresh snipped Italian parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup homemade tomato sauce
- salt and pepper
- Make filling: Heat about a tbsp.
- olive oil in a fry pan with the crushed pepper flakes.
- Add onion and cook 1 minute.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, green, yellow and red peppers.
- Add the zucchini and cook 1 more minute.
- Add the garlic, chicken and cook 1 minute.
- Add sundried tomatoes, parsley and basil.
- Add tomato sauce and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Simmer low heat for 10 minutes-- Everything should just be starting to soften.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temp.
- Combine the ricotta cheese, provolone, and mozzarella, and parmesan cheese in a bowl with the beaten egg.
- Add salt and pepper and nutmeg.
- Combine well.
- Brush some melted butter on a sheet of phyllo and place in a 10 inch spring form pan.
- Letting the edges fall over the sides.
- Keep repeating with another six sheets of pastry.
- Spread all the cheese mixture over the bottom of the phyllo.
- Spoon the filling over the cheese base.
- Bring all the hanging edges up over the sides and topping, enclosing all in-- Brush any remaining phyllo pastry with remaining butter and scrunch up to make like a flower, and place on top of your enclosed pie.
- Bake 350 degrees oven on middle rack, until pastry is golden, which should take at least 40 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Release from the spring form.
- Let cool slightly, before cutting into wedges and serve.
- Brush the remaining phyllo pastry.