Recipe by Michelle Berteig
This is one of my family's favorite recipes. I've typed it here for posterity, as I keep losing my copy at home. You can make this in an electric skillet or in a large skillet on top of the stove. You can also use a cut up chicken, or a package of 6 thighs, or whatever your favorite chicken parts are, in this dish. Instead of frozen artichoke hearts, I've also used marinated ones. Enjoy!
Top Review by lolablitz
Really super delicious recipe and great way to use barley! The breasts do get a little tough, so I might try and different separate way of prepping them or use thighs next time. Thanks for the keeper!
- 4 lbs skinless chicken breasts, whole (about 4 pounds total)
- 4 -5 tablespoons butter or 4 -5 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 lb sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and paprika.
- In a wide frying pan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the chicken and cook until well browned on both sides. Add a little more butter if needed. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt the remaining butter. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft. Remove mushrooms from pan and set aside.
- Add barley and onion to pan. Cook, stirring, until onion is soft. Add basil and one 14 oz. can chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then cover the pan, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms and arrange the chicken pieces over the barley mixture. Pour the other can of chicken broth and sherry over all. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Gently mix in artichoke hearts and continue to simmer until barley is tender (about 10 more minutes).
- To serve, skim off any excess fat and sprinkle with parsley.