A tasty Northern Indian Curry - not too hot, and easy to prepare--extra chili or hot sambal can be added by the individual--if they are hot heads!!
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cooking oil or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 lbs skinless chicken thighs
- 1 onion, medium diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh coriander
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garam masala, ground
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat yogurt
- 2 tomatoes, ripe skinned and chopped
- Place onion, ginger, crushed garlic and fresh coriander in blender. Blend as smooth as possible adding a small amount of water if necessary.
- Heat oil in large pan and fry the blended mixture on low heat for 2-3 minutes. Add turmeric, Garam Masala, salt and chili, fry for a further minute.
- Stir in yoghurt and tomato; simmer for 5 minutes. Add chicken, turning to coat. Simmer gently for 40 minutes. Thicken if necessary.
- Serve with rice, and accompaniments.