Recipe by Mindelicious
Jalapeños and lime complement each other perfectly in this spicy Mexican classic. This recipe is from vegcooking.com I'm not really big on the meat replacement products so sometimes I leave it out or substitute portabello mushrooms or something similiar to that. *For a spicier soup, use 2 peppers and 1/4 cup hot sauce .
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made your recipe pretty much as given, using the portabello mushrooms! Even though I'm not a big fan of the mushroom (unless it's raw!) my other half is, so . . . Must say that your soup has a great taste combo, & we both thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in the Special Event ~ Adopt a Veggie Tag!]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 serrano peppers or 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 12 ounces vegan chicken or 2 cups chopped portabella mushrooms
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 tablespoons green chili sauce
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice, fresh
- black pepper, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into strips
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion, garlic, and hot pepper, and cook for about 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Stir in the stock, Chickette, tomato, hot sauce, lime juice, pepper, and cayenne.
- Simmer until the "chicken" is cooked, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and adjust the seasonings as needed.(see description).
- While the soup is cooking, preheat the oven to 350°F Spread the tortilla strips on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy.
- Top the soup with the tortilla strips.