Recipe by graffeetee
originally from the victory garden cookbook. i have made a few changes. the combinations may seem a bit unusual, but the flavors meld nicely. i just made this again after a long hiatus, and was reminded how tasty (and relatively simple) it is.
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1 (10 ounce) packagejulienne carrots
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- salt and pepper
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 cup vermouth
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 1/2 cup of water to a boil and add the mushrooms.
- Simmer until mushrooms are cooked through.
- Drain and set aside. You can use the mushroom liquid in place of part of the broth if you wish.
- Melt butter in a large saute pan.
- Add carrots and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Sprinkle flour over carrots.
- Cook for another 2 minutes, stirring.
- Stir in broth and bring to a simmer.
- Place chicken breasts on top of carrots and sprinkle with salt, pepper and tarragon.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken and carrots to a heated plate.
- Add vermouth to pan broth and boil to reduce slightly.
- Add cream and boil again until slightly thickened.
- Add lemon juice and additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Return chicken and carrots to pan and stir in mushrooms.
- Stir to coat all with sauce and heat until chicken is cooked through and hot.