Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is good to make during the summer when the freshest asparagus and squash are available at the market.
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 3 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 lb asparagus spear, trimmed
- 1 small summer squash, halved crosswise & cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 4 green onions, cut in 2-inch pieces
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In 12-inch skillet cook chicken and bacon over medium-high heat 12 minutes, turning to brown evenly. Carefully add broth; cover and cook 3-5 minutes more or until chicken is tender and no longer pink (180 degrees F).
- Meanwhile, in microwave-safe 2-quart dish combine asparagus, squash, and 2 tablespoons water. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover with vented plastic wrap. Cook on 100% power (high) 3-5 minutes, until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring once. Transfer to plates. Drizzle with cooking liquid; stop with chicken, bacon, and onions.
Good base recipe, but needs some seasonings in my opinion. I added fresh garlic, thyme, and basil. Also added fresh mushrooms, and used boneless skinless chicken breasts. Instead of microwaving the vegetables, I sauted them in the skillet after cooking the meat.