Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a comfort food oven dish based in part on Chicken Ala King. We really enjoy this and hope you do to.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 slices sourdough bread
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup mild cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Melt butter over medium high heat.
- Saute onions and mushrooms until soft.
- Add Flour, salt and pepper and stir for two minutes, creating a rough.
- Add stock and milk to the vegetable/flour mixture. Bring to boil. Mixture will thicken.
- Add cooked chicken to thickened mixture and lower heat. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Season mixture to taste.
- Line casserole pan with 3 slices of bread.
- Pour some of the mixture over the bread.
- Cover mixture with parmesan cheese.
- Add three more slices of bread.
- Cover with mixture.
- Add more parmesan cheese.
- Cover with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Let stand for 15 minutes and serve.