Recipe by abbydabby
I found this recipe online (pizzamaking.com) - it's considered the "Pizzeria Uno" pizza. You can pretty much put any type of topping on this pizza - we added ground beef, green pepper and onion. To learn more about the history of Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza (and the Uno's cornmeal crust) go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago-style_pizza
Top Review by slsl60514
There is not, and never has been, any cornmeal in authentic Chicago deep dish pizza dough 9the golden color comes from food coloring). You're a little short on the oil (it should be around 1 cup for this much flour), but you can get away with it. If you mix and knead this dough for the length of time described, you will wind up with bread, not the biscuit-like texture of authentic deep dish pizza (for that, you need a short knead). So mix the ingredients on low for 1 minute, then knead for 2 minutes only.
Pizza Dough Ingredients
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages fast-rising active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 5 1⁄2 cups flour
Pizza Filling Ingredients
- 1⁄2 lb sliced mozzarella cheese
- 2 1⁄2 cups italian-style whole canned tomatoes, drained and squished
- 1⁄2 lb 95% lean ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shreaded mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- With a kitchenaid mixer, mix the yeast with the warm water and dissolve yeast completely.
- Add the vegetable oil, olive oil, cornmeal and 1/2 of the flour. Beat for 10 minutes.
- Attach the dough hook and mix in the remaining flour. Knead with the mixer for several minutes.
- Place dough on clean countertop and cover with a large metal bowl to allow to rise double in bulk.
- Punch down and allow to rise again. Punch down a 2nd time and the dough is ready.
- Oil a deep-dish pizza pan. Place some dough in the pan and push it out to the edges using your fingers. Put enough dough so that you can run the crust right up the side of the pan. Make it about 1/8" thick throughout the pan.
- Place the cheese in tile-like layers on the bottom of the pie.
- Put in the tomatoes, the basil, oregano, garlic, and salt.
- Add your toppings - in this recipe we include ground beef, green pepper and onion.
- Add the shredded mozzarella cheese, drizzle the olive oil and add the parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake the pie in the 475 degree oven until the top is golden and gooey and the crust is light golden brown - about 35 minutes.