Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A blend of lemon, orange and lime juices are brightened by a confetti of zests that add a special a zing. Time does not include chilling or mixing in your ice cream maker.
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice, fresh
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice, fresh
- 1 lime, juice of, 2-4 TBLS
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 lime, zest of
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 orange, zest of
- Combine sugar and water in a small pot, bring to a boil reduce and simmer just until sugar is dissolved, let cool.
- Stir together all the juices, zests and vanilla, add in ½ cup of sugar syrup, taste and add more until desired sweetness is reached; with a ½ cup of syrup, this is a tart and refreshing sorbetto which makes a perfect palate cleanser. Add more syrup for a sweeter flavor, especially if serving children.
- Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacture’s instructions.
- Every ice cream maker is different; follow the general directions for yours. My gelato machine allows me to only have to slightly cool the syrup, you may have to chill syrup & juice blend before mixing.
- You may serve the sorbetto right away, or pack in a freezer container and allow to ripen.
- With ½ cup syrup this makes a scant pint.
It would not be hard to eat the full pint at one time. I used Splenda to replace the sugar and used about half of the zest ask for, mainly because I hate grating the stuff. About 20 mins in the ice cream maker produced a beautiful and delicious sorbet. Can't wait for the weather to heat up because this will be even better in the heat.
The ingredients were mixed 24 hours in advance and refrigerated. The mixturefroze quickly and was transferred to a covered bowl and allowed to age for a couple of hours in the freezer. This is very tart and I think that I could have used a little more of the sugar syrup. Also, for my taste the lime flavor was a little strong and the lime zest might be better reduced by 1/2. Made for *ZWT 4*
YUM! YUM! I made this exactly as written. It was definitely tart, but very refreshing. My DH loved it as is--7yo DS said he would like it a little sweeter. Next time I make it (and there will definitely be a next time), I'll use all the sugar syrup. I didn't have a juicer, so it took me longer than ten minutes to make. Thanks for posting! Made and reviewed for ZWT4.