Recipe by ChezDanielle
This is an outstanding recipe that I found last year on a food blog at http://dexygus.typepad.com I have made it now many times. It was a huge hit at my Christmas party. Freeze the dough/dough’s, then you will have hot out of the oven cookies in 12 minutes when ever you want. Perfect for the holidays. Great to dip in your coffee.
- 8 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 small eggs or 1 1⁄2 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter until soft. Add sugar, and beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs, and beat until fluffy. Add molasses and beat until well-incorporated.
- Sift the dry ingredients, and add to the mixture. On low speed, mix until it all just comes together.
- Line a 9 x 5" loaf pan with plastic wrap, so that some hangs over the outsides. Press the dough into the bottom of the pan. Pack it tightly, and try to make the top as level as possible. Cover the dough with the plastic overhangs, take another loaf pan, of the same size, and use it to press the dough flat. You'll have to move it around a bit to really get into the corners and sides, but it's really easy.
- Freeze until very firm, preferably overnight. Unwrap and remove dough from the pan. Slice brick into thin slices, no more than 1/8".
- Place on a parchment-lined or silpat sheetpan.
- Bake at 350° until the edges turn dark brown, about 12 minutes.
- -The dough gets soft quickly, so work fast.
- -Because the cookies are so thin, there's a fine line between underbaked and burned.