Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
Chewy, sweet, and high in fiber. A delicious way to get your oats and fiber.
- 6 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 3⁄4 cup raw pumpkin seeds (shelled)
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds (shelled)
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed (gold look prettier)
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 2 cups raisins
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup honey, plus
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 275.
- In a very large bowl mix together oats, wheat bran, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and flax seeds.
- Combine in a sauce pan olive oil,honey, vanilla, brown sugar, and salt.
- Heat on medium heat until all are dissolved and form a "syrup".
- Pour the "syrup" into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix very well, try to ensure every piece is evenly coated, stir, smash, stir.
- When all is mixed well stir in coconut and raisins.
- Put half of mixture into a glass 9x13 baking dish and spread evenly without packing down.
- If you have two glass dishes you can bake both at once.
- Bake at 275 for 40 minutes, then leaving pans in oven, turn up oven to 325 and bake for another 12-15 minutes.
- Stir granola just once when it comes out and leave it alone to cool, if there are clumps do not break them up.
- Allow to COOL COMPLETELY before removing from pan or serving.
- Store in an airtight container or gallon size freezer bags.
- Serve with milk or soy milk or rice milk as you would breakfast cereal.
Will update again once eaten but smells great, looks good. I added almond slivers and substituted Soy nuts (a little salted) in place of the pumpkin seeds. Used wheat germ instead of bran 'cause it was what was on hand. Also added mini choc chips with the coconut which MELTED (oops) but smells great ;). Didn't know how full the pan should be so almost filled to the brim on 2 pans (one was an 8 x 8 other a 9 x 13). Hopefully it comes out alright. Update: Everyone loved it. Toddler liked the chocolate milk he got when he had it for cereal. Nana didn't like granola with chocolate (not traditional enough--I agree too). DH liked the chocolate addition...so it was 3 of 5 liked it.
This is awesome!!! It it a truly addictive snack.