Recipe by TGirl,RN
I love coconut, and these cookies are the perfect way to satisfy my craving! This recipe makes six dozen chewy treats that are perfect with a nice cup of hot tea or coffee. These are the perfect treat for unexpected guests, OAMC, bake sales, or give some away as a sure-fire Pick-Me-Up to a friend who needs to smile. Dough must chill for at least 2 hours before baking, which has not been included in prep time.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening, such as crisco
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups flour, all purpose
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut, flaked
Directions See How It's Made
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening, and sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well.
- Gradually add water and vanilla.
- Sift together dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt), and add to batter.
- Fold in coconut, then cover and refrigerate dough for at least 3 hours; this is a very sticky dough.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper (or greased).
- Flatten dough using a fork, the back of a metal spoon, or your fingertips--this dough is very sticky--dip the fork, spoon, or fingertips in a bit of flour before you flatten each cookie.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire rack.
- Store in airtight container at room temperature, or freeze for future enjoyment!