Recipe by Kristiina
A delicious snack from Healthy Home Cooking Magazine by Betty Crocker.
Top Review by Acerast
Absolutely delicious! The flavor and texture of these bars reminded me of the chocolate chip pies that were commonly on restaurant menus during the 80s. Yum! My entire family loved these. We'll be enjoying this recipe again. Made for Top Favorites of 2009 game :)
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup fat-free sweetened condensed milk, not evaporated
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 1 quart heavy saucepan, heat filling ingredients over low heat, stirring frequently until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, 1/2 cup oats, the baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a medium bowl, stir egg, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla with fork until smooth; stir into flour mixture until blended. Reserve 1/2 cup dough in small bowl for topping.
- Pat remaining dough in pan (if dough is sticky, spray fingers with cooking spray or dust with flour). Spread filling over dough. Add 2 Tbsp oats and the butter to reserved dough. Mix with pastry blender or fork until well mixed. Place small pieces of mixture over filling.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until top is golden and firm. Cool completely, about 1 hour 30 minutes. Cut into 16 bars.