4 hrs 44 mins
2 hrs 44 mins
kyle martin's Note:
Excellent coffee side dish, or holiday finger food, as well as a nice holiday dessert---Delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons boiling water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1Line two baking sheets with parchment.
- 2Chop chocolate into 1/4 inch chunks; set aside.
- 3In a medium bowl, sift together flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cocoa In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and grated ginger until whitened, about 4 minutes.
- 4Add the brown sugar, and beat until combined.
- 5Add molasses, and beat until combined In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in boiling water.
- 6Beat half of the flour mixture into the butter mixture.
- 7Beat in the baking soda mixture, then the remaining half of the flour mixture.
- 8Mix the chocolate, and turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap.
- 9Pat the dough out to about 1-inch thick; seal with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, 2 hours more Heat the oven to 325°.
- 10Roll the dough into 1 1/2-inch balls, and place 2-inches apart, on baking sheet.
- 11Refrigerate 20 minutes.
- 12Roll the balls in granulated sugar.
- 13Bake until the surfaces crack slightly, 13-15 minutes; let cool 5 minutes; transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (32 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 142.5
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 58.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 2.0 g