Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook2 hrs 44 mins
Excellent coffee side dish, or holiday finger food, as well as a nice holiday dessert---Delicious.
Make and share this Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- 7 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- Line two baking sheets with parchment.
- Chop chocolate into 1/4 inch chunks; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cocoa In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and grated ginger until whitened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar, and beat until combined.
- Add molasses, and beat until combined In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in boiling water.
- Beat half of the flour mixture into the butter mixture.
- Beat in the baking soda mixture, then the remaining half of the flour mixture.
- Mix the chocolate, and turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap.
- Pat the dough out to about 1-inch thick; seal with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, 2 hours more Heat the oven to 325°.
- Roll the dough into 1 1/2-inch balls, and place 2-inches apart, on baking sheet.
- Refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Roll the balls in granulated sugar.
- Bake until the surfaces crack slightly, 13-15 minutes; let cool 5 minutes; transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.