1/1 Photo of Chestnut Sour Cream Coffee Cake
1 hr 25 mins
A can of chestnuts left from a photo shoot sat in the cabinet for a couple of months until I found this recipe in one of my favorite books, The Art of Quick Breads by Beth Hensperger. It's just amazingly delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a bundt pan, 10-inch tube pan or two 9-inch loaf pans.
- 2Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- 3Beat the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs and beat well. Beat in vanilla and sour cream.
- 4Add the flour mixture to the sour cream mixture and mix well. The mixture will be very thick, possibly too thick for an electric mixer.
- 5Remove 1 cup of the mixture to another bowl. Add the chestnut puree and chocolate chips and mix well.
- 6Spoon half of the batter into the bundt pan and top with half the chestnut batter. Another layer of vanilla batter, then the remaining chestnut batter. Insert a butter knife through the batter layers and swirl once or twice to marble the batter.
- 7Bake 60 to 65 minutes for tube pans and 45 to 50 minutes for loaf pans, until the top of the cake is no longer shiny and a tester comes out clean.
- 8Cool slightly, remove from pan, and dust with a mixture of powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Cake freezes for up to 2 months.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chestnut Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (74 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.2
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 54.0 mg
- Sodium 174.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 15.2 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sweetened chestnut puree