Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
For dip sophisticates, this pate has a deep, complex flavor, made woodsy and slightly sweet from the roasted chestnuts. This dip tastes especially good on Melba toast or some such type of cracker. You can buy chestnuts already peeled and roasted to save time.
- Roast the chestnuts by first scoring them to prevent explosions. Then place in 425 degree oven for about 25 minutes. Let cool a bit then crush the shells to remove the chestnuts.
- Cook lentils in 2 1/2 cups water with the crushed garlic. Cover, bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer. Cook for 30 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed and the lentils are very tender.
- Remove as much garlic as you can, then put lentils and chestnuts in food processor. Add 1/2 to 1 cup water to achieve a consistency slightly thicker than hummus. Add oil, parsley salt and nutmeg and blend again.
- Place in a covered bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Serving suggestion: spread on a thin, toasted baguette slice, top with a tomato slice and sprinkle on a little salt.