Recipe by Well-Aged Cooky
Best made in summer with the freshest tomatoes and basil. It is so good, you'll make it often.
- 1 pie crust, from refrigerator dept. at grocery store
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped and packed into measuring cup
- 2 eggs
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons butter, soft
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes, cut in half or 1 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped large
Directions See How It's Made
- When seeding the tomatoes, make sure you get as much of the juice out as you can, using only the meat.
- Beat eggs with a fork.
- Beat softened cream cheese.
- Mix the cheese, lemon juice, butter, sour cream, and eggs and beat well.
- Fold in basil.
- Place crust in your pie pan, 8" is best. Arrange tomatoes in bottom of pan.
- Pour custard over and smooth down.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes, until top is browned, and a knife inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Baking time may vary. I check the quiche at about 25 minutes, and sometimes have to bake it up to 35 minutes. I guess this depends on the juiciness of the tomatoes.
- 8 ounces of goat cheese is a good substitute for the cream cheese, but some people don't like it's taste.
- Cool until just warm, or serve at room temperature. It's good cold, too.
- You probably won't have leftovers; if you do, refrigerate.