Recipe by Barb in WNY
This recipe uses cherry jam for a quick and easy coffee cake.
Top Review by Ducky
Nice coffee cake and I love the quick prep. It is a bit more cake-like than I'm used to. I used black cherry spreadable fruit as that was the only non-preservative cherry spread I could find. I needed 2 1/2 Tbsp of water for the glaze. This was made for PAC April 2009.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2⁄3 cup cherry jam
- powdered sugar glaze
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Grease a square pan 8 X 8-inch.
- Beat flour sugar, baking powder, salt, milk, shortening, and egg, vigorously with a fork for 30 seconds.
- Pour into pan.
- Mix raisins, brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter.
- Spoon jam over brown sugar mixture.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Spread coffee cake with Powdered Sugar Glaze.
- Powdered Sugar Glaze: Mix 1 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and about 1 tablespoon water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until glaze is desired consistency.