Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe may be microwaved instead of cooked on the stove. If you wish to microwave it mix liquid, sugar and corn starch, microwave on "High" 2 or 3 minutes or until mixture thickens and boils. Stir once during cooking.
- 473.18 ml tart cherries, pitted (fresh or frozen, thawed)
- 177.44 ml liquid (juice or water)
- 59.14-118.29 ml sugar (sweeten to taste)
- 44.37 ml cornstarch
- 0.59 ml almond extract
- Blend corn starch and sugar. (The amount of sugar can vary according to taste and if the cherries were frozen with sugar or not.)
- Drain juice from cherries and add water to make 3/4 cup liquid. Stir liquid into corn starch mixture.
- Stir mixture on high heat until mixture thickens and boils.
- Remove from heat, stir in almond extract and gently fold in cherries.
Unfortunately almond-extract isn't available in Germany and so I had to improvise a bit with almond-flavouring. I think that wasn't quite right, because I almost couldn't taste the cherries anymore. But ok, that was a mistake on my part and I definitely won't repeat that next time.
But apart from that, the pie filling was great. Easy to make (I used the microwave), great in taste and it had the perfect consistence for the Cream cheese tarts I made ^^.
Thanks a lot for sharing the recipe :)
I canned cherries in quart jars last year, but was unsure of what I wanted to do with them. I had exactly enough cherries and juice per quart to double this receipe. Perfect pie filling! Thanks!
I used fresh tart cherries and cranberry juice cocktail. The juice blended in well with the cherries. I didn't use all three tablespoons of cornstarch and it was too runny. Next time I'll follow the directions :)