Recipe by the_cookie_lady
From Taste of Home's annual cookies and candies cookbooklet 2007. This light-as-air meringue cookie is made with candied cherries, dried dates, and walnuts. These disappeared from my Christmas tray before the tray even made it out of the kitchen. I'll be making a triple batch for next year.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1⁄3 cup chopped candied cherry
Directions See How It's Made
- Place egg whites in a clean mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in sugar, 1 Tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and the sugar is dissolved. Fold in the walnuts, dates and cherries, being careful not to deflate the egg whites.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 300 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until lightly browned and firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.