Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe came from my cousins in Oklahoma years ago. ****The cherries are packed in cherry juice or water, not in thick pie filling***
- 2 (20 ounce) cans cherries, in juice
- 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box white cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup nuts
- Mix cherries&liquid, sugar, and flavoring.
- Grease 13 x 9 pan.
- Put cherry mixture in first.
- Sprinkle dry cake mix over cherry mixture.
- Sprinkle nuts over cake mix.
- Melt margarine and pour evenly as possible over all.
- Bake until brown and bubbly at 350°F 35-40 minutes.
This is an old recipe that I think could use with a face and calorie lift. But, it has a lot of potential and I would make it again with adjustments. Since I made it for photo tag, I did it as directed. Note that this recipe has 1 cup of butter and 2 cups of sugar in addition to the heavy syrup that the canned cherries have. It just was too sweet, almost candy-like. Next time I'll cut the amount of sugar in half and experiment with reducing the butter, maybe replacing part of it with juice?