Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a really sweet bread. I made it to share with co-workers and to use up my extra cherries. It tastes great with a cup of coffee or tea. You can put in up to a cup of chocolate chips, cherries or nuts; depending on your tastes. I generally use 1 cup of cherries and 3/4 cup of chocolate chips.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 cup cherries, pitted
- 1⁄2-1 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup nuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Soften butter, and cream with tightly packed brown sugar.
- Stir in milk, eggs, and almond extract.
- In a seperate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to milk mixture and stir until all ingredients are moistened.
- With a spoon, stir in chocolate, cherries, and nuts.
- Add batter into a greased 9x5 baking pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool before removing from pan. You may serve it warm, cold, or re-heated.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Ohh not one of my favorites but regardless my husband and kids ate it right up. I honestly didn't think it was that sweet at all, or not sweet enough. The sweetness that was there came mostly from chocolate chips. It baked well though and I was happy to see a sweet bread recipe using fresh cherries.
I followed directions exactly. I used 2/3 cups of cherries and 2/3 cup chocolate chips. No nuts. I baked it for 60 minutes. Great taste, but I think this was just a little too moist for me. BUT, I am going to try again using less cherrie. I think this would also do well as a mix for muffins. Made for PAC.