Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
I don't know about you, but I love the combination of cherries and almonds! They just seem to go together. This recipe blends the two flavors with an almond-laced creamy topping. The recipe comes from the cookbook Lean and Luscious and Meatless. Prep time does not include chilling time. Can be lactose-free if you use soy yogurt.
- 1 (1 lb) can tart red cherries, packed in water
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons almonds, sliced
- Drain cherries, reserving liquid.
- Place reserved liquid in a small saucepan.
- Add cornstarch, 1 tsp almond extract, and 3 tablespoons sugar.
- Mix until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Add cherries to saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Continue to cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Place in a bowl and chill.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt with remaining almond extract and sugar.
- Mix well and chill.
- To serve, divide cherries evenly into 4 serving bowls or sherbet glasses.
- Divide yogurt topping evenly and spoon over cherries.
- Garnish with sliced almonds.
I made this with fresh WA cherries and it was AWESOME. 27* when served over Greek yogurt. I did cut back a little on the extract or it would have been overwhelming for Dh.