Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A Delightful meal for a small get together. Both savory and sweet, and one that your guest will talk about and remember for a long time.
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups apricot puree
- 4 rock cornish game hens
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain and wild rice blend
- 12 -16 ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 6 cups fresh apricots
- 3⁄4 cup superfine sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice, strained
- 24 ounces pineapple juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F Whisk all ingredients except Cornish Game Hen in medium saucepan over low heat to warm and blend. Place Dry Rubbed hens, breast side up on rack in roasting pan; brush with aprox. 3/4 cup apricot glaze. Roast hens about 1½- to 2- hours until meat thermometer inserted into center registers 180 F, brushing occasionally with more glaze.
- Cut hens in half and transfer hens to plate setting ½ hen on top of prepared Long grain wild rice with shitake mushrooms if desired you can use 2 boxes Zatarine’s Long Grain Wild rice. Serve with cornbread stuffing and your favorite vegetable.
- Apricot Purée.
- Place the apricots in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover them.(dried apricots can be used if fresh is not available).
- Cook over medium heat until apricots are very soft, (about 20 minute). Drain the apricots, reserving the cooking liquid. Set the pan aside for later use.
- Place the apricots in 2 batches in the bowl of your food processor fitted with the metal blade. Puree by pulsing on and off until the apricots are smooth. Add some of the reserved cooking liquid, if necessary.
- Scrape the puree back into the large saucepan and stir in the sugar pineapple nectar and lemon juice. Cook over low heat, stirring continually, until the sugar is dissolved, about 5-10 minutes.
- Let cool, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator, until needed. (Leftover Purée can be frozen for use at a later time.).