1/2 Photos of Chef Joey's Apple Strudel
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
I love apples and strudel is one of my favourite desserts to make. This one makes 4 strudels. You cook the apples and currants together before you build the strudel. It makes it so yummy. You can peel your apples if you wish. I used my food processor to slice the apples, it really is a time saver. You could half this recipe if you wanted to. Note: I didn't include the thawing time for the strudel, or the soak time for the currants.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 granny smith apples (cored and sliced thin)
- 2 ounces vegan margarine
- 1 cup currants
- 1 cup orange juice (divided and to soak the currants in)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup dry sweetener (I used Xylitol)
- 4 sheets puff pastry (I use Peppridge Farm)
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar (soft)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1Preheat oven to 425'F.
- 2Put the currants in the orange juice and let them soak for about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- 3Grind your almonds. Set aside,.
- 4Thaw the puff pastry for 40 minutes.
- 5Heat the vegan margarine in a large saute pan.
- 6Add the prepared apples to the pan and cook until the apples start to turn golden.
- 7Drain the currants but save the orange juice. Take 4 tablespoons of the orange juice and add to the apples in the saute pan. Add the honey, Xylitol and soaked currants.
- 8Continue stirring the apple mixture over medium heat until the Xylitol and honey dissolve and apples are just tender.
- 9Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and leave to cool completely.
- 10Once the puff pastry has thawed, lay the sheets out on a counter (all of them) and gently roll with a rolling pin to seal the edges. The kind I use are square and have 2 seams down the middle. They can break, so its good to flatten them a little.
- 11Sprinkle 1/4 of the ground almonds on one half of each of the pastries.
- 12Drain the liquid out of the apple mixture.
- 13Divide the apple mixture on 1/2 of each of the 4 puff pastries. Sprinkle each with 1/4 teaspoons of ground cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of the soft brown sugar.
- 14Dip a pastry brush into the beaten egg and seal the edges around the apple mixture. Fold the top over and seal firmly, you don't want the apple to seep out.
- 15Using a pair of scissors, cut slits down the pastry to allow the steam to escape. Brush the top of the strudel with the egg wash.
- 16You can serve this warm with your favourite ice cream, or serve at room temperature with whipped cream. Or sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- 17Bon Appetit!
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chef Joey's Apple Strudel
Serving Size: 1 (192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 454.2
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 26.4 mg
- Sodium 164.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 20.6 g
- Protein 6.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: