Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
An easy and lighter version of the classic favorite, this recipe uses non-fat canned milk and reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese to reduce the calories without reducing the taste.
- 4 cups cauliflower florets (about 1/2 large head)
- 1 (12 ounce) can nonfat milk, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- Microwave cauliflower according to your brand's directions (8-10 mins) and until desired tenderness. We like ours without any crunch.
- Bring 1 1/4 cups milk and salt to a boil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk flour and the remaining 1/4 cup milk in another small bowl until smooth; stir the mixture into the pan and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Stir in the cheese, chives, mustard and pepper.
- Stir microwaved cauliflower into cheese sauce and serve.
- OPTIONAL: Sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture (1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup cheese, 1 teaspoon oil). Broil until the top is crispy and beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
Wow the best Cauliflower Gratin I have ever had! Loved it and it was so easy to boot! Thank you so much for a great recipe. Even my 10 month old Grandson liked it :) I will make this again for sure. Made for Fall PAC 09