- 1 cup beef broth (or homemade stock)
- 4 ounces Guinness stout
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup caramelized onion
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan, bring broth and Guinness to a rolling boil.
- Thicken this mixture with a roux. This is made in a separate pan by melting the butter and whisking in the flour until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- While whisking the boiling stock, add the roux by continuing to whisk vigorously to avoid lumps.
- Add caramelized onions (reserved earlier) and allow to simmer over medium low heat for about 5 minutes
- Add salt and pepper to taste.