Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I think this came out of a church cookbook, but not certain.
- 6 cups turnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 3 small green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Place turnips in a large suacepan.
- Add 1 1/4 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook for 12 minutes.
- Add green onions, butter, garlic powder, and salt.
- cook and additonal 5 minutes.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 cup water.
- Add to turnips, stirring until combined.
- Add cheese; cook until cheese melts.
Not sure if I should rate this, as I changed it quite a bit. But my kids loved it and didn't know there were turnips in there. I only had 1 1/2 cups baby turnips, so I made it into mashed potatoes, adding 4 1/2 C of red potatoes and boiling for 10 minutes, then adding the green onion (1 large) for 2 minutes. Drained, mashed, and added the rest of the ingredients (including cornstarch mix). Tasted wonderful, but probably will only make when I get turnips in my CSA box. Thakns!
These are great! They look like potatoes Au Graten and taste like them too. What a great way to slip something good for you past the kids and hubby. Thanks!
This is quite yummy. The finished dish looked like potatos au gratin. I am not a huge fan of turnips, but this recipe definately made them edible. Thanks Jac.