Recipe by TexasToast R
From Honest Pretzel...I've added green chilies for more flavor! Makes a delicious and easy dinner served with a side of black beans and a salad.
Top Review by zaar junkie
Tasty dish - kind of like a merge between a taco casserole and a quiche. I added a layer of ground round (vegetarian ground beef) with taco seasoning (like the previous reviewer) to make it a bit more hardy. The buttermilk I bought for this dish had spoiled so I subbed half and half. Turned out great. Good texture and flavor. This is something I would make again - great for a brunch dish.
- 12 corn tortillas
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated (or pepper jack)
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- paprika, as a garnish for top
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- Tear 6 tortillas into bite-sized pieces and cover the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle half of the cheese on top and then evenly spoon green chilies on top of cheese. Tear rest of tortillas and put over chili-cheese layer. Sprinkle rest of cheese on top.
- Beat the eggs, salt and buttermilk in a bowl and pour over tortillas and cheese. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes. Serve with sour cream and salsa.