Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Honest Pretzel...I've added green chilies for more flavor! Makes a delicious and easy dinner served with a side of black beans and a salad.
- 12 corn tortillas
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated (or pepper jack)
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- paprika, as a garnish for top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- Tear 6 tortillas into bite-sized pieces and cover the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle half of the cheese on top and then evenly spoon green chilies on top of cheese. Tear rest of tortillas and put over chili-cheese layer. Sprinkle rest of cheese on top.
- Beat the eggs, salt and buttermilk in a bowl and pour over tortillas and cheese. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes. Serve with sour cream and salsa.
Tasty dish - kind of like a merge between a taco casserole and a quiche. I added a layer of ground round (vegetarian ground beef) with taco seasoning (like the previous reviewer) to make it a bit more hardy. The buttermilk I bought for this dish had spoiled so I subbed half and half. Turned out great. Good texture and flavor. This is something I would make again - great for a brunch dish.
Very Easy, I did add extra cheese and 1 lb of ground turkey seasoned with taco seasoning- sorry I live in a house full of carnivores. Was delightfully flavorful and was annihilated by my family, no leftovers =( My 12 year old said " Mom, you can make this again!" Absolutely a must try for the budget conscious!!!