Recipe by Chilicat
A hot spinach dip in a toasted sourdough bread bowl. Yum! This is from "A Hundred Years of Island Cooking", an old cookbook from the Hawaiian Electric Company.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs round loaf sourdough bread
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 2⁄3 cup bell pepper, chopped (red or green)
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup celery, chopped
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut around the edge of the loaf leaving a 1-inch shell on the sides and bottom. Remove center portion of bread and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Place shell and bread pieces in a large baking pan. Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter; brush inside of bread shell. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cook spinach according to package directions; drain and squeeze all moisture from spinach.
- In a skillet, melt remaining butter; saute peppers, onion and celery until tender. Lower heat and add cheese, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted. Stir in spinach and rosemary; heat through.
- Pour into hot bread shell. Serve with the toasted bread pieces and assorted crisp vegetables.