This is my husbands favorite I could make it every night of the week and he would be happy! A good friend of mine gave we the recipe from one of her magazines, maybe Country Living?
- Cook pasta according to package directions; rinse with cold water. Drain and set aside.
- Process tomato sauce and diced tomatoes and green chilies in a blender 20 seconds or until smooth. Set aside.
- Remove casings from sausage, and discard. Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain sausage, if desired, and return to skillet. Stir in cream cheese, ricotta cheese, and 2 cups mozzarella cheese. Spoon into manicotti shells; arrange stuffed manicotti in a lightly greased 13x9 inch-baking dish.
- Pour tomato mixture over shells; sprinkle with remaining 2 cups mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Let casserole stand 10 minutes before serving, Sprinkle top with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
- Note: Casserole may be assembled and frozen up to 1 month. Thaw in refrigerator overnight; bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Ground beef and tomato manicotti: Substitute 1 pound lean ground beef for sausage. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, 1-teaspoon salt, 1-teaspoon pepper, and 1-teaspoon fennel seed. Proceed as directed.