Recipe by DrGaellon
Adapted from a recipe by "dadrules" at allrecipes.com. This can be modified by addition of any herb that suits your main dish - basil, tarragon, sage, thyme and marjoram are all excellent additions. You can substitute any semi-hard, smooth-melting cheese for the Cheddar; Asiago and Italian Fontina are both excellent choices.
Top Review by Cooked
I had never had polenta before and this was amazing! I have now made it many times, sometimes exactly as written, and other times I have added herbs and such and each time it was delicious! Thank you DrGaellon for introducing my family to polenta!
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup polenta or 1 cup coarse-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1⁄4 lb sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped herbs (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a pot, combine milk, broth, salt and cornmeal. Place over medium-high heat and whisk constantly until liquid is boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 20 minutes until creamy, stirring every 3-4 minutes to prevent sticking and burning.
- Remove from heat. Stir in pepper, butter, cheeses and optional herbs.