Recipe by breezermom
This recipe came from Southern Living, way back in 1987. This is my favorite tetrazzini recipe. A great way to use up leftover chicken or turkey. Also, I often find myself with extra pasta...this is a great way to use that up as well!
Top Review by GibbyLou
We really enjoyed this dish! I did leave the pimentos out and used 2% milk. I do not have a 8X12 pan so used a 9X13. Next time I would use my 7X11 so the chicken mixture fully covers the noodles. Thanks for sharing!
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (7 ounce) package angel hair pasta or 1 (7 ounce) package spaghetti
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine or 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 (2 ounce) jar diced pimentos
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a saucepan;bring to a boil.
- Cut chicken into 1/2 inch cubes. Add chicken to saucepan; cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until done. Drain.
- Combine 6 cups water, 1/2 tsp salt, and olive oil in a Dutch oven, bring to a boil. Add pasta, and cook according to package directions. Do not overcook. Drain well and set aside.
- Saute green pepper in butter in a Dutch oven until tender. Add flour, and stir well.
- Stir in milk, next 6 ingredients and 2 cups cheddar cheese. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in chicken.
- Spread half of pasta in a greased 12x8x2 inch baking dish; spread half of chicken mixture over pasta. Repeat layers. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cup of cheese and top with almonds.
- Bake an additional 5 minutes.