Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
I modified Loves2Teach's great recipe for Cheesy Broccoli Rice (#67521) to make a main dish casserole without canned soups. Enjoy!
- Boil water, adding bouillon cubes.
- Add rice and broccoli and cook covered on low heat for 12-15 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, heat butter over medium heat in medium pan. Add onions and cook until softened and just starting to carmelize, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add thyme, chicken, mayonnaise and milk, stirring to combine.
- Once rice mixture is ready, remove from heat and dump in 9x11" glass pyrex pan.
- Add chicken and sauce mixture, 1 1/2 cups of cheese and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Cook at 350 degrees approx 25 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Not fond of the thyme and broccoli combo. I will leave out thyme next time
Yummy! What a quick and delicious meL. I used two cans of canned chicken and didn't add the onion or butter because the kids don't like them. I would if it were just the hubby and I though. Also, I will add cream cheese next time, just to kick up the richness and tinker (cause I can't leave a recipe alone :-). Thanks for posting, you saved us from a supper of PB&J!
This sounds like a great recipe, and I look forward to making it. When and where do you add the rice/broccoli mixture?