Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
I modified Loves2Teach's great recipe for Cheesy Broccoli Rice (#67521) to make a main dish casserole without canned soups. Enjoy!
- 354.88 ml white rice
- 709.77 ml water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 14.79 ml butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.23 ml thyme
- 473.18 ml cooked chicken, diced
- 118.29 ml milk
- 44.37 ml mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- 473.18 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- Boil water, adding bouillon cubes.
- Add rice and broccoli and cook covered on low heat for 12-15 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, heat butter over medium heat in medium pan. Add onions and cook until softened and just starting to carmelize, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add thyme, chicken, mayonnaise and milk, stirring to combine.
- Once rice mixture is ready, remove from heat and dump in 9x11" glass pyrex pan.
- Add chicken and sauce mixture, 1 1/2 cups of cheese and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Cook at 350 degrees approx 25 minutes or until cheese is melted.
used basmati rice and half the thyme. was outstanding
I had chicken I needed to cook but didn't want the normal chicken casserole with canned soup. I'm so glad I came across this recipe. I didn't add thyme because I didn't have any but this was Delicious!! It is definitely going into rotation. My boyfriend even took leftovers to work two days in a row.
Not fond of the thyme and broccoli combo. I will leave out thyme next time