Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a quick dinner that kids love! I'd never used frozen Tater Tots before, but I found this recipe and made it for my son. It has sort of a burger and french fry taste and he gobbled down several servings, saying he wished I'd make this all the time.
- 680.38 g ground beef
- 411.06 g canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 28.34 g dry onion soup mix
- pam nonstick cooking spray
- 354.88 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 118.29 ml ketchup (I prefer Heinz)
- 1 egg
- 946.36 ml frozen tater tots (about 1 pound)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray an 8x8" baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Brown meat in large skillet over medium-high heat; drain. Stir in tomatoes and the dry soup mix. Reduce heat to low; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in the cheese; set aside.
- Beat ketchup and egg together in a small bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Add to meat mixture; mix well. Spoon into prepared dish. Top with Tater Tots and press them lightly into the meat mixture.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until Tater Tots are lightly browned and meat mixture is heated through.
This was easy to put together. My kiddos were more interested in the tater tots though than in the actual casserole. I did double the recipe for a 9x13 pan. Next time I will leave the recipe the way it is and just double the tater tots. :) I really enjoyed the flavors. Made for the May 2010 Aussie/NZ recipe swap.
Loved this! So easy to do and both hubby & toddler DD devoured it. Thanks for posting!
This was a good change from the usual tater tot casserole that is made with cream soup. I think I should have drained my tomatoes better (maybe pressed the liquid out) because as they cooked, more liquid came out of them which then made the tater tots a bit soggy. Next time I will be sure to drain them better. Thx for the recipe.