1/1 Photo of Cheesy Bacon Scalloped Potatoes
1 hr 15 mins
Chef #355450 Heather's Note:
This is one of those stick to your ribs side dishes and it's a huge hit with my family. I make it at least once a week and I like to take it to cookouts too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 -8 large baking potatoes (I use Idaho Potatoes)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 medium sweet onion (diced)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4-1/2 cup colby cheese (crumbled not shredded)
- 1/8-1/4 cup crumbled bacon (I use the "Real Bacon Crumbles" you use for salad toppings to save time)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- parmesan cheese (sprinkled on top)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1Peel and slice potatoes and set aside in a bowl of cold water.
- 2Saute onion with 1 tablespoons butter until golden. Add garlic and continue to saute until garlic is lightly colored. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 3In small sauce pan melt 2 tablespoons butter add 3 tablespoons flour. Stir constantly until mixture begins to bubble. Slowly add milk and stir constantly bringing sauce to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2-4 minutes until sauce is thickened.
- 4Drain potatoes. Spray or grease 2 qt casserole dish and add potatoes, sauteed onions/garlic, and pour sauce over potatoes. Salt and pepper to taste (you can tell by tasting the sauce). Mix well. Sprinkle bacon pieces and cheese crumbles then lightly hand mix throughout dish.
- 5Optional: you can sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and/or 1/4 cup bread crumbs mixed with 2 tbsp melted butter for a crispier topping.
- 6Bake at 400°F for 1 - 1 1/2 hours uncovered or until top is golden brown and potatoes are tender. Cover with foil for the first 45 - 60 minutes of the cooking time if you add the bread crumb mixture or else it will burn with this high temp/long cook time.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Bacon Scalloped Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.4
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 44.1 mg
- Sodium 184.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 8.0 g