Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This was a Friday night staple during Lent in my house when I was growing up.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup cake flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Heat oven to 350.
- Melt butter over low heaet in saucepan.
- Blend in flour and seasonings.
- Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Take from heat and stir in milk.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Boil 1 minute.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Take from heat.
- Stir in well-beaten eggs yolks.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar .
- until stiff but not dry.
- Fold in cheese mixture.
- Pour into ungreased 1 1/2 quart baking dish set in pan of hot water(1 inch deep).
- Bake 50-60 minutes.
- Insert clen knife 1 inch from edge to see if done.
- Serve immediately.