Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Perfect for Lasagna, or potato bake etc.. (multiply ingredients to make larger quantities)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard
- salt and pepper
- NOTE: you should be constantly stirring this for the duration (after adding flour) so it has a smooth consistency.
- Melt butter in a small pan.
- Stir through flour till disolved (No lumps).
- Slowly add milk, continuously stirring though, important to pour milk bit by bit, without burning, and once, milk is added, keep on stirring until mixture thickens. (this should take roughly 2-3 mins in total).
- When you notice it thickening, continue stirring, and slowly add cheese, bit by bit.
- Add mustard, and salt and pepper.
This was a great easy sauce! I made the sauce with a mixture of mozzerella and parmesean (since the mozzerella is so mild, I added extra--about a cup of cheese total) and also added 1/2 tsp of a dried "Italian Seasoning" spice mix to the mustard, salt, and pepper. A wonderful change to the usual pasta sause--and great for so many more uses! Thank you!