Recipe by HeidiSue
Don't buy that Cheez Whiz! This was posted in the Reno Gazzette Journal today and I am tucking it here for safe keeping because I always loose newspaper clippings! Pour it over steamed veggies, toss it with pasta or use it for nachos.
Top Review by WI Cheesehead
I'm trying this again. I made this to pour over broccoli. It does NOT taste like Cheez Whiz, thank goodness! I used margarine, black pepper and mild cheddar cheese. I'll look for sharp cheese next time, as that will improve the flavor. I added a little Worcestershire sauce and dry mustard (made it like my Mom's Macaroni & Cheese recipe). A nice way to have brocolli for a change.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 whole black peppercorns
- 3⁄4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 3⁄4 cup finely shredded sharp 2% cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small and heavy saucepanadd the bay leaf and peppercorns to the milk and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Strain mixture through a sieve into a bowl and discard the bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Melt butter in the saucepan and use a wooden spoon to stir in the flour and white pepper over low heat until the mixture is evenly combined.
- Gradually add the milk to the saucepan, stirring constatly with a whisk to prevent lumps.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir the shredded cheese into the sauce until completely melted.
- Makes about 1 cup sauce.