1/1 Photo of Cheese Puffs with Salsa Cream Filling
I got this recipe from Newman's Own Cookbook, but haven't tried it yet. It sounds really good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- 1 cup flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten for egg wash
- 1 cup finely grated cheddar cheese or 1 cup swiss cheese, plus
- 3 tablespoons finely grated cheddar cheese or 3 tablespoons swiss cheese
- 1 (11 ounce) jar salsa (or your own)
- 8 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 425*.
- 2Grease 2 baking sheets.
- 3To make dough: In a heavy 2 qt.
- 4saucepan, combine 1 cup water with butter, salt, pepper,and nutmeg.
- 5When butter has melted and water is boiling, remove pan from heat andd beat in flour all at once with a wooden spoon.
- 6Stir vigorously until the mixture forms a ball and leaves sides of pan.
- 7(If it doesn't, return pan to heat and beat hard 1 to 2 mins., until it forms a ball).
- 8Off of the heat, beat in 4 eggs, 1 at a time until each is thoroughly incorporated.
- 9Beat in 1 cup of grated cheese.
- 10Transfer the dough to a pastry bag fitted with a plain 1/2" tip.
- 11Pipe rounds on the prepared baking sheets, each about 1 inch in diameter, 1" high, and 2" apart.
- 12With a pastry brush, very carefully brush the tops of the rounds with some of the egg wash, being sure not to let any drip onto the baking sheets.
- 13(It will act like glue and prevent puffs from puffing).
- 14Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the tops of the rounds.
- 15Bake for 20 to 25 mins.
- 16or until golden and crisp.
- 17Remove from the oven and turn off the oven.
- 18With the tip of a small, sharp knife, pierce the top side of each puff, then return the baking sheets to the oven to dry for 10 mins.
- 19Remove and let cool on wire racks.
- 20While the puffs are baking or as they cool, make the filling: Drain the salsa.
- 21In a bowl combine the cream cheese with half of the drained salsa.
- 22Add salsa to taste.
- 23With a small sharp knife, cut off the top half of the puffs.
- 24Spoon filling into each puff and place the tops of the puffs back on.
Browse Our Top Southwestern U.S. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Southwestern U.S. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese Puffs with Salsa Cream Filling
Serving Size: 1 (189 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 476.3
- Calories from Fat 328
- Total Fat 36.5 g
- Saturated Fat 21.6 g
- Cholesterol 271.8 mg
- Sodium 1040.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 16.8 g