LtlPhyl #2's Note:
This recipe comes from my church cookbook dated 1968 and was submitted by a very dear friend. Prep time is approximate and does not include refrigeration time. ENJOY.. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Trim crust from all sides of bread; discard crust. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes and set aside.
- 2Combine cheese and margarine in top of double boiler; cook over boiling water until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- 3Fold a small amount of hot mixture into egg whites; fold into remaining cheese mixture.
- 4Use a fork to dip each bread cube into cheese mixture, coating the bread on all sides. Place bread cubes 1 inch apart on lightly greased baking sheet; cover and refrigerate over night.
- 5Remove from refrigerator, uncover, and bake at 400ºF for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.
- 6NOTE: Cheese-coated bread cubes may be frozen instead of refrigerated and may be kept up to 2 months. Freeze bread cubes on covered tray and place in plastic freezer bags. To bake, remove from freezer, spread on baking sheets and bake while still frozen at 400ºF for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese Puffs
Serving Size: 1 (1255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 550.6
- Calories from Fat 372
- Total Fat 41.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 53.1 mg
- Sodium 918.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 15.0 g