Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe somewhere online a while ago. Until recently, I hadn't gotten around to trying it; however, my favorite neighborhood bakery went out of business so I found myself trying my hand at making coffee cakes made with yeast. I particularly like this one because you don't have to let the dough rise and it makes two coffee cakes. Just mix, divide dough in half, roll it out, spread with filling, fold and bake. Note: I cut the ingredients for the filling in half, spread it on the dough for both coffee cakes, and spooned Solo (brand) raspberry filling over it, making raspberry cream cheese coffee cake. I'm sure cherry, strawberry, or any other flavor would work too. Hope you enjoy the buttery taste as much as my family.
- Mix yeast, water and sugar and let stand 10 minutes.
- Mix together flour and salt and cut in butter.
- Add egg to yeast mixture and add dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces and roll out (on floured surface) into 2 (8x10-inch) rectangles.
- Mix filling ingredients together and spread down center of each rectangle. Fold long ends to cover filling, fold sides inches Flip over onto cookie sheet.
- Bake immediately for 25 minutes in a 375 degree oven. Cool.
- Sprinkle top with powdered sugar.